Mission & Goals
Steuben Rural Electric Cooperative's Mission
The mission of Steuben Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc. is to improve the quality of rural life by providing our members with low cost, reliable electricity and related services in a safe manner.
Steuben Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc.
Steuben Rural Electric Cooperative is the largest rural electric cooperative in New York State. Dedicated to providing electric distribution services and energy-saving programs to the Finger Lakes Region of New York since 1944 and Western New York since 1969. Steuben Rural Electric Cooperative distributes dependable power to over 5,300 members and maintains over 1,100 miles of primary distribution line throughout Steuben, Schuyler, Cattaraugus and Chautauqua counties. Steuben Rural Electric Cooperative, employs 29 full time employees and is governed by 9 board members.
Did you know?
- Electric cooperatives power 56% of the nation's landmass.
- There are 832 distribution electric cooperatives in the United States.
- Electric cooperatives maintain 42% (2.7 million miles) of U.S. electric distribution lines that serve our communities.
- Over 20 million businesses, homes, schools, and farms in 48 state are powered by electric cooperatives.
- 42 million people across 2,500+ counties in the United States are served by electric cooperatives.
- In 2019, America's electric cooperatives returned more than $1.3 billion in capital credits to their members.
- More than 88% of all local electric co-ops offer electricity generated from renewable sources.