Mission & Goals
Steuben Rural Electric Cooperative's Mission
The mission of Steuben Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc. is to improve the quality of rural life by providing our members with low cost, reliable electricity and related services in a safe manner.
Steuben Rural Electric Cooperative, Inc.
Steuben Rural Electric Cooperative is the largest rural electric cooperative in New York State. Dedicated to providing electric distribution services and energy-saving programs to the Finger Lakes Region of New York since 1944 and Western New York since 1969. Steuben Rural Electric Cooperative distributes dependable power to over 5,300 members and maintains over 1,100 miles of primary distribution line throughout Steuben, Schuyler, Cattaraugus and Chautauqua counties. Steuben Rural Electric Cooperative, employs 29 full time employees and is governed by 9 board members.
Did you know Electric Cooperatives...
- Are located in 80% of the nation's counties
- Are the largest electric utility network in the nation
- Total more than 900 local systems in 47 states
- Have 42 million member-owners
- Distribute power over 2.5 million miles of line
- Serve 75% of the U.S. land mass
- Own $130 billion in generation, transmission, and distribution assets
- More than 88% of all local electric co-ops offer electricity generated from renewable sources.