full width paragraph

Severe storms and natural disasters can cause a variety of electrical safety hazards in and around our homes.  Lightning, downed power lines, and floods are just a few of the serious safety concerns associated with storms.  Unfortunately, many of these electrical safety hazards remain long after the storm itself has passed.


To help protect you from storm-related electrical hazards, the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) and Steuben Rural Electric Cooperative are providing answers to common storm safety questions about:

Portable Generators

ESFI strongly recommends that a licensed electrician install home generators to ensure they meet all local electrical codes.

Also, make sure your generator is properly grounded in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.

Do not connect generators directly to the household wiring unless an appropriate transfer switch has been installed by a licensed, qualified electrician.

Without the proper transfer switch, power provided by the generator can "backfeed" along the power lines, creating a significant electrocution hazard for anyone coming in contact with the lines, including lineworkers making necessary repairs.

Never operate a generator inside your home or in any other enclosed or even partially enclosed area.  Generators very quickly produce carbon monoxide, which can easily enter your home.

Place the generator on a dry surface under an open, canopy-like structure.  Do not operate the generator in wet conditions, or where there is standing water.

Opening windows or doors or using fans does not provide adequate ventilation to prevent the build-up of carbon monoxide.  Generators must be located outside a safe distance away from your home's windows, doors, and vents, through which carbon monoxide can enter your home.

Preliminary research from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) indicates that even 15 feet from the home is too close to operate a generator safely.

Remember your neighbors, too.  Keep your generator a safe distance away from their homes as well.

The capacity of generators varies.  Follow the manufacturer's instruction carefully.  Do not overload the generator.

Power Lines

If you see a downed power line, move at least 10 feet away from the line and anything touching it.  The human body is a ready conductor of electricity.

The proper way to move away from the line is to shuffle away with small steps, keeping your feet together and on the ground at all times.  This will minimize the potential for a strong electric shock.  Electricity wants to move from a high voltage zone to a low voltage zone - and it could do that through the body.

If you see someone who is in direct or indirect contact with the downed line, do not touch the person.  You could become the next victim.  Call 911 instead.

Do not attempt to move a downed power line or anything in contact with the line by using another object such as a broom or stick.  Even non-conductive materials like wood or cloth, if slightly wet, can conduct electricity and then electrocute you.

Do not drive over downed power lines.

If you are in your car and it is in contact with the downed line, stay in your car.  Tell others to stay away from your vehicle.

If you must leave your car because it's on fire, jump out of the vehicle with both feet together and avoid contact with the live car and the ground at the same time.  This way you avoid being the path of electricity from the car to the earth.  Shuffle away from the car.

Water is a good conductor of electricity.  Any amount of water - even a puddle - could become energized.  Be careful not to touch water - or anything in contact with the water - near where there is a downed power line.


  • Move to a low point.  Lightning hits the tallest available object, so get down low in a crouched position if you are in an exposed area.
  • Stay away from trees.
  • Avoid metal.  Don't hold onto metal items like bats, golf clubs, fishing rods, tennis rackets, or tools.  Stay away from metal sheds, clotheslines, poles, and fences.
  • Stay away from water, including pools, lakes, puddles, and anything damp - like grass.
  • Don't stand close to other people.  Spread out.

Not necessarily, but sometimes.  If you feel a tingling sensation or your hair stands on end, lightning may be about to strike.  Do not lie down.  Instead, crouch down, tuck your head, and cover your ears.

Slow down and use extra caution.  If possible, pull off the road into a safe area.

Do not leave your vehicle during a thunderstorm.  A vehicle is considered safe during a thunderstorm if it is fully enclosed with a metal top such as a hard-topped car, minivan, bus, truck, etc.  While inside a safe vehicle do not use electronic devices, such as radio communications.

Follow these indoor lightning safety tips to help keep your family safe inside while it's storming outside:

  • To avoid lightning strikes, stay away from windows and doors.
  • If possible, unplug electronic equipment before the storm arrives.  Avoid contact with electrical equipment and cords during storms.
  • Avoid contact with water and plumbing, including sinks, baths and faucets.

Doghouses are not lightning-safe, and chained animals can easily become victims of lightning strikes.  You should bring your pets inside to protect them.

Flooded Areas

Use extreme care when stepping into flooded areas.  Submerged outlets or electrical cords can energize water, posing a lethal trap.

Do not use electrical appliances that have been wet until they have been examined by a qualified service repair dealer.  Electrical equipment exposed to water can be extremely dangerous if reenergized without proper reconditioning or replacement.

Electrical items, such as circuit breakers, fuses, ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs), receptacles, plugs, and switches, can malfunction when water and silt get inside.  Discard them if they have been submerged.  Have a licensed, qualified professional replace them.

Yes, downed power lines or submerged outlets from adjacent homes could energize the water.  Use extreme caution when entering any flooded area.